Contributors

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Week 9

Well, what a fine mess I'm in. Twelve weeks to go yesterday and I am wildly off plan. Seems to be the theme for all of us. I skipped last week's blog... didn't want to report another week with only 5 miles run. It's the start of a new month and absolutely time to shit or get off the pot. So, here's the emergency "get it back on track" plan... a long run every weekend, preferably Saturday the same day as the race. Two short runs, back to back in the middle of the week (Tuesday/Wednesday) leaving a couple of rest days to and from the long run. The Saturday runs must get progressively longer topping out to 24/26 miles by early October... then a two week taper to the race. This is an emergency salvage plan, not pretty... but I see no other choice. Yesterday I began with grand plans to go out and bag a very slow long slog in the heat... perhaps 20 miles or better. Ha! On the strength of a half  dozen 5 mile runs over the last five weeks my body would have none of it. It was hot, low 90s here with high humidity when I went out at noon. I overloaded (mistake) my 2 liter Camelback with 3+ liters of water (too heavy) and one of the straps broke at 4 miles in... had to carry the bag after that... that didn't help. By 8 miles I was losing control... shakey and nauseous. I bagged it at 12 miles... a disappointment, but my goal was a bit ambitious. Oh well. We will try again next weekend, perhaps for 16. I wish the others well, don't give up... we need to make this happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers