Contributors

Saturday, March 30, 2013

March

Well... what an interesting month. The first week I found another interesting race and adjusted my goals and schedule accordingly. At the end of July I will try my first 24 hour race... go as far as you can in 24 hours. The race is a 5K loop in Wakefield MA (that I have raced a 5K on) and starts at 7PM and goes until 7 the next evening. The race is in its 17th year, is well supported... given the layout and the two aid stations the runners do not need to carry anything... kinda cool. I'm in. So... I need to step up my schedule to get ready in time. I quickly ramp up to 60/week not 50. I run 54, 60, 60 and 64 miles for the 4 weeks. The weather has not entirely cooperated and I hit a speed bump on the treadmill the day of the big snow storm, the 19th. I ran 10 miles and right at the end the phone rang and I foolishly turned to see who it was. You can not do that on a treadmill. I went right down, put one foot through the wall (literally) and the got the other foot stuck between the moving belt and the wall. It ripped my shoe off, wrenched and sprained my foot and I lost some skin to "belt rash". Holy Crap! The next two days I walked to let my swollen purple foot recover a little, I don't think I broke anything and by the third day I was back running, albeit gingerly. A week and a half later my foot is still sore but slowly improving... I think. So much for 50/week and two 10 milers a week. I have run several 12 and 13 milers as well as a 15. All in all a great month, I have now run 630 miles in 91 consecutive days. April? Probably not a significant increase in mileage, I will hang between 60/70 but will ramp up the individual long runs to the 18/20 miles. Nice to see Bill on-board, nice steady work on the treadmill. I am expecting friends Alex Lange and Di Souza to sign on for the 15 mile Ghost Train and John Mahoney a student of mine has decided to take on the Ultra version... way to go John! All are invited and will hopefully join this blog. Good training to all... and remember: Never try to answer the phone on the treadmill!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers